8th Nov 2017
30th Oct 2017
10th Oct 2017
4th Oct 2017
26th Sep 2017
23rd Nov 2017
30th Nov 2017
8th Dec 2017
14th Dec 2017
Admissions Policy 2018 - 19
ENTRY AT AGE 11
The Governing Body has responsibility for admissions to the School and plans to offer 287 places (pupil admission number) at age 11 in September 2018. To apply for a place at Colne Valley High School an applicant must complete the Secondary Common Application Form (SCAF). This is supplied by Kirklees Local Authority through an online application process. It is very important that the form is returned by the closing date because forms received after this date will be treated as 'late'. Late applications are not dealt with until all those received on time have been through the application process.
The School welcomes children with Statements of Special Educational Needs or Educational Health Care Plans (EHC Plans) where Colne Valley High School is named on the Statement/EHC Plan.
If the number of applicants exceeds the number of available places, the following priorities will apply:
- looked after children and previously looked after children (please see note below)
- children who have an older brother or sister attending from the same address at the date of admission (the younger sibling rule)
- children who live in the Academy's Priority Admission Area
- children who live outside the Academy's Priority Admission Area
If the requests for admission in the Oversubscription Criteria b) to d) exceed the admission number, priority will be given up to the admission number to children living nearest the School.
- The definition of a 'looked after child' is a person under the age of 18 who is provided with accommodation by a local authority, acting in its social services capacity, for a continuous period of more than 24 hours, by agreement with the parents or in accordance with section 22 of the Children Act 1989. Previously looked after refers to those children who immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption order, (under section 46 of the Adoption and Children Act 2002), residence order (under Section 8 of the Children Act 1989), or specialist guardianship order (under Section 14A of the Children Act 1989). Children looked after under an agreed series of short term placements (respite care) are excluded.
- 'Live' means the child's permanent home at the date when applications close or, if a significant house move is involved, the latest reasonable date before the final allocation of places
- Distance is measured in a straight line from a child's home address to the school. Measurements are calculated using six-figure National Grid Co-ordinates taken from the National Land and Property Gazetteer. This grid reference refers to a point that falls within the permanent building structure corresponding to the address. The boundary of the building structure for the address is from Ordnance Survey's MasterMap. For smaller, residential properties the grid reference marks a point near the centre of the building. For larger properties, like schools with, for example, multiple buildings and large grounds, the grid reference relates to a point inside the main addressable building structure. The distance calculated is accurate to within 1 metre.
Notification of Offer of Place
The formal offer of a place will come from the Local Authority which will write to Parents/Carers on 1 March, 2018 allocating a single secondary school to their child.
The Academy Trust will use the oversubscription criteria above to rank unsuccessful applicants in a waiting list so that further places may be offered by the Local Authority if they become available. The waiting list will close on the final day of the 2018/19 school year.
Unsuccessful applicants may also contact the School to be advised of their right of appeal to an Independent Appeal Panel.
IN-YEAR ADMISSIONS (All Year Groups)
All applications for an in-year admission to Colne Valley High School must be made on the Kirklees In-year Common Application Form (ICAF) available from the School. The completed form is then sent directly to Colne Valley High School. More information about in-year admissions can be found by clicking here for the Kirklees Council Website.
ADMISSION ARRANGEMENTS FOR SEPTEMBER 2019
The Academy will confirm admissions arrangements for entry in September 2019 by 28 February 2018. These arrangements will be published website and copied to the local authority before 15 March 2018.