27th May 2019
3rd Jun 2019
4th Jun 2019
6th Jun 2019
Free School Meals - Important Information
The rules around free school meals have changed since the introduction of Universal Credit. If you are already claiming free school meals you do not have to do anything. This information is for those families who wish to make a new claim.
In Kirklees the process of applying for free school meals is a simple one and applications are done online. If you aren’t able to access the online system, you can contact a member of the school’s admin team directly here in school who will be able to provide some support with the application.
Applying for free school meals is also important in more ways that you might expect. Your son/daughter’s school (eg Colne Valley High School) will receive some additional money to provide extra support in school. This is called ‘Pupil Premium’.
Who is eligible?
Children and young people who live in Kirklees can apply for free school meals if they:
- Attend full time at a local authority school or sixth form
- Are under 19 years of age
And their parents or carers receive one, or more, of the following:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, but are not entitled to a Working Tax Credit and your annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs) is less than £16,190
- Support under Part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
How to apply
Fill in the simple form on the Kirklees website. Completing this form takes around 10 minutes and can be accessed via the link www.kirklees.gov.uk/beta/schools/free-school-meals.aspx
After you’ve applied
Kirklees usually contact school within 48 hours to inform them of the date the entitlement to free school meals will start from. They will also send you a letter telling you the start date. Your application is anonymous. No one will know that your son/daughter is in receipt of free school meals. All students, whether in receipt of free school meals or not ‘pay’ for meals in the same way (by using their bio-metric thumb print). It will not affect any other benefits you may be claiming.
Contact free school meals directly
Telephone: 01484 221000 – ask for ‘free school meals’ team