GSO Test

Quick Links

Useful Links

Special educational needs and disability (SEND) policy

Provision for Special Educational Needs & Disabilities at Colne Valley High School and annual report (September 2018)

We believe that every child and young person has the right to expect a good education and the support they need to become independent adults and succeed in life.   Our policy and provision for students with special educational needs and / or disabilities is compliant with requirements within legislation:

The SEN Code of Practice (2014) makes it clear that each and every teacher is a teacher of students with special educational needs. High quality teaching, differentiated for individual students, is therefore the first step in responding to students who have or may have a Special Educational Need or Disability. We regularly and carefully review the quality of teaching for all students, including those at risk of underachievement. This includes reviewing and, where necessary, improving, teachers' understanding of strategies to identify and support vulnerable students and their knowledge of the SEND most frequently encountered.

Admission arrangements for prospective students with special educational needs and / or disabilities can be found within our Admissions Policy.

The following information is designed to give parents and young people an overview of the approach to SEND at Colne Valley High School and is presented in the form of questions which are most frequently asked. There is also information available on Kirklees Council's SEND Local Offer via the following link -

What is SEND?

A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. This means that they have a much greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or they may have a disability which means that they cannot make full use of facilities provided.

Who should I talk to if I think that my child needs extra support?

You should start by talking to your child's form tutor, your child's achievement coordinator, the Aspire officer for your child's year group, or the Special Educational Needs / Disabilities Coordinator (SEND CO).

How do we identify that a student has additional needs?

The earlier that students are identified as having additional needs, the earlier we can start to work towards supporting these students in the most effective way possible. We hold strong links with our feeder primary schools and work closely with the primary school teachers of students who have chosen to study at Colne Valley High School. We engage in extra transition work with all students and their families identified as having additional needs to increase each student's understanding and help them prepare for a smooth and effective transition to Key Stage 3.

On entry to the school each student's abilities are assessed and we continue to monitor these as the child progresses through the school. Assessment data will include records from primary schools and discussions with the primary school teacher, information from parents, performance in KS2 SATS, Cognitive Ability Tests done at the start of Year 7, reading and spelling age tests, reports from external agencies such as Speech and Language Therapists and Hearing Impaired Services, evidence from form tutors and subject teacher observations and assessments.

How are parents and young people consulted and involved?

The roles of parents and young people are vital in the process and are a key component of the SEND Code of Practice. The views of parents and students are taken into account at all stages.

How do we support students with additional needs?

High quality teaching, differentiated for individual students, is the first step in responding to students who have or may have SEND. Additional intervention and support cannot compensate for a lack of good quality teaching so we regularly check our standards of teaching within the classroom. In addition to this we employ teaching assistants in a variety of ways to support SEND students. This may involve working with individual students or small groups, and working in subject areas on the development of specialised resources. Students with additional needs are supported in class and, as appropriate, within the Learning Support Unit (LSU).

Students are screened for examination access arrangements to assess whether they qualify for extra time or would benefit from the support of a reader, scribe or laptop. We have trained and qualified Counsellor on site in our Wellbeing Centre who is available for staff, students and parents. Outside agency support from the Educational Psychologist, Speech and Language Therapist, Hearing Impaired Services, Autism Outreach, CAMHS, CHEWS, Targeted Youth Support, EAL Support (English as an additional language), Occupational Therapist or Sensory Services is also available.

The Graduated Approach

The SEND Code of Practice 2014 involves a graduated approach to meeting students' needs. The Special Educational Needs Coordinators and teachers will review the approaches adopted and students and parents will be at the centre of this process with full involvement at each and every stage.

Normal class provision with quality teaching including differentiation is the first stage.

  • Additional Support: Where support additional to that of normal class provision is required in order for your child to catch up with peers, the child will be given Additional Support. This will usually involve your child working on an accelerated learning intervention programme for a set period of time and may include additional classroom support.
  • Additional Support Plus: If it felt that advice from an external professional is needed, your child will receive Additional Support Plus. This will be implemented following advice from the external agency and is likely to involve your child working on an accelerated learning intervention programme for a set period of time and may include additional classroom support.
  • Education, Health and Care Plans: Where concerns remain despite sustained intervention, the Academy will consider requesting an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan). The EHC Plan sets out the student's strengths and needs and details the provision for the student in the areas of education, health and social care. Those students who currently have a Statement of Special Educational Needs will gradually transfer to an EHC Plan. The Local Authority has a timetable for this and all Statements have to be transferred by April 2018.

How do we support students at transition times?

The Achievement Co-ordinator for Year 7 and SENDCO visit our feeder primaries. This means that there is consistency year on year with strong links being established between ourselves and our feeder primary schools.

Teaching Assistants are assigned feeder schools and initially make the link by visiting local primaries to meet the students with the aim to support a successful transition. We have additional transition days for those students who are identified as needing extra support; if they are feeling nervous or vulnerable, for example. In the summer holidays we run a summer school to boost skills/confidence before students start the new school year.

The SENDCO will support transition onwards to further education and training. We have excellent links with local Post 16 provisions and give students the opportunity to attend taster days and workshops. We also have a Careers Advisor who works with parents and students to advise on suitable progression routes at all levels and who attends all review meetings for our students with EHC plans from Year 9 onwards.

How do we make sure that staff in school have the expertise and training to support students with SEND?

All new teaching staff receive training on SEND as part of their induction programme (weekly sessions between September and March). In addition, we have whole school training sessions every Monday after school and Teaching and Learning with a SEND focus features regularly. All staff receive a SEND guide which documents individual difficulties, strategies and student voice. All SEND students have a Pupil Profile which includes area of need, strategies, parental views, student views and current data. This is readily available to all staff and parents.

How do we check that students are making progress?

The assessment of learning takes place within each classroom, as an integral part of learning, through questioning, discussions and marking of work. Every term teachers complete formal assessments which contribute to a termly 'Creating Futures' report. This clearly indicates whether or not students are making progress towards personal targets. The SENDCO analyses these reports to assess the effectiveness of interventions and to identify students who may need further support or interventions. Students with EHC Plans will have regular reviews including an annual review where progress is reported to the Local Authority.

How accessible is the environment at Colne Valley High School?

Every effort is made to give equal access to all students and we work closely with parents, students and outside agencies to meet individual needs. Many, but not all, parts of the school are accessible to wheelchairs. Students have use of netbooks or laptops to record information and the use of 'dyslexia friendly' fonts and backgrounds for resources. The Learning Support Unit has the use of an exam approved reading pen to which any pupil can have access for lessons and a ClaroRead programme which changes text into audible speech.

Which other services may be involved in supporting students?

Specialist support may be put in place, depending on individual needs and in consultation with students and parents. These may include educational psychology, autistic spectrum disorder support, sensory service for hearing or visual impairment, speech, language and communication support, school counselling service in the Wellbeing Centre, occupational therapy support, physiotherapy support, school nurse, and links with specialist provision establishments.

How do we deal with concerns of parents about the provision made at school?

We always strive to work with parents to ensure that they are satisfied with the level of provision and quality of teaching at Colne Valley High School.

If you wish to discuss provision at the school, please contact:

Or contact the Local Authority directly

  • Phone: 01484 221000 or 01484 456888

Any complaints or concerns about provision should be made to the school in the first instance, or directly to Kirklees Local Authority.